Friday, March 14, 2014

The Build - Stage 16 Painting and Prep

If there is one thing I've learned to stay away from when choosing a future career . . . it's paint prep.  Painting is fun, but the caulk, puddy, and sanding process on every piece of wood in the entire house . . . is not.  

 I trained my eye to identify nail holes.  Each and every trim piece, shelf, and door frame had nail holes and crevices.  Every hole needed to be filled with puddy, allowed to dry, and then sanded to create a smooth finish.  Every crevice had to be sealed with caulk which created smooth corners and seems.  Just in this first picture alone, there were over 100 nail holes and over 100 crevices.  

I think there were easily over 5,000 nail holes and 5,000 crevices.  Those two weeks were some of the longest of my life (insert heavy sigh).  My mom and I became pretty proficient with a caulk gun (not that that is a desirable skill).  It was just satisfying to learn how to make the caulk glide over the seems without gooping all over the place.  The result was worth it. 


The wall paint color was Sherwin Williams Taupe Tone.


The Trim, Columns, and Wains coating  color was Sherwin Williams Well Bred Brown.



 

After the paint was finished we installed the electrical outlets and switches, finishing all of the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment