Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Build - Stage 11 Roofing Shingles

Putting on the shingles!  This is a big step forward, because now when you're inside the house, you are now protected from the elements.  No rain, snow, or shine inside now. 


We used shingles that came in strips. These things are heavy!  I could barely climb the ladder with six strips of shingle in my hands.  You'd be surprised how sore your ankles can get when standing on the roof with your feet in a downward tilt.  My Dad got the worst of it, working with his feet at an upward tilt.  He would nail the shingles down as I passed the sheets of shingle to him.  (Stand on your heels with your toes in the air for even a few minutes and you'll see what I mean). 


The gun that we used on the roof is a roof nailer.  It shoots small nails on the midpoint of the shingle.  The nails are hidden by the overlapped shingle and ensures that no rain can seep through the shingle.  I nick-named the nailer the "Tommy Gun" because of its round magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment